Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Modern Day Pharisee

I need a moment to rant- but first let me say- I've thought long and hard about if I even wanted to write this post. This is a thought out rant and I fully understand that not everyone will agree with it and I may very well offend someone at some point but I just can't help it. I tend to stay away from most all deep conversations on this subject because frankly I'm not all-knowing. I don't have most of the answers. Perhaps by choice, perhaps by the desire to think outside the box and encourage others to as well. With that.

Religion. Its been a part of me since the day I was born. Since the day I was conceived. Since the day my parents ever even imagined a me. Its so far deep in my roots that even if I tried to run away from it, it would follow me on every turn because it is so ingrained in my history. I would have nothing to stand on in my life if I didn't have some form of religion that has guided me through every step of my life. But if someone asked me if I'm religious, I think my response would be that I am more "spiritual" than "religious." You may not see a difference at first in the two, but there is a difference (to me). Being religious is uniform. Being spiritual is deeper. Being spiritual is a personal connection to the establishment that is religion, you feel it, you share it, you grow with it. You are a member of a religion, but you live spirituality. What is the religion of Christianity without the Holy Spirit? And I believe God blesses people, some in some ways, some in others. Some are blessed with good families. Others with finances. Others with health, etc.

OK, with all that said, so that you know I am in no way knocking religion (and here we get people raising their eyebrows- but stay with me), I want to vent about something I've seen recently that absolutely gets my goat and I dont understand whatsoever! I work for Mercedes Benz. I don't sell. I don't deal with the Mercedes themselves much at all. I do admin. My desire to work for Mercedes, I will leave that alone- gag. I could care less about cars. But, everyday I see people from different walks of life come in. Some with old money. Some with new. Some with none. Some that are living out of their means but put up the front that they have more than do and want a Mercedes to keep that charade going. Some so excited that they have finally reached a point in their life where they can afford the high end car of their dreams. And, some that act like they would never even step foot into a non-high end vehicle and because we work here, we must be here to serve them. Um- no. No. No. No. Not my thing. But more than anything- the worst of the worst for me are the people that come in (from churches) buying the head pastor a new Mercedes. But not our $40k Mercedes. Not even our $60k Mercedes. But our $100+k Mercedes. Because "God told me to drive a Mercedes." Yes I actually heard that come out of a pastor's mouth yesterday! And yes it took every bit of pre-preggo sanity to not spin right around and start that conversation. I mean seriously?! Did God seriously tell you that it would be in you and your church and congregation's best interest for you to drive a ridiculously flashy and overpriced peice of metal on four wheels. Man I wish God would tell me to drive a $115k Mercedes!! On the church's dime? Oh and what makes it worse is that the church's membership is less than 200 people and not doing well as it sits in a rather rough part of town! How do I know this? Because the church secretary came in along with the preacher to write the check and had some of the church's financial records with her- and a little thing called google. Anybody else putting the dots together here? At what point will people stop using God as an excuse? Seems like if you have to use God as an "excuse" to do something that you otherwise wouldn't be able to do, then maybe there is an issue. Now, I have absolutely NO problem with someone who has done well for themselves to do anything they want their money. Preacher or no preacher. Your money. Your call. Not your money. Maybe think twice. "God's" money. Maybe think three times and then think about where else that money might should be going! Totally different ends of the spectrum! But come on!! And I wish I could say that this was the first time I'd seen or heard this, but sadly its not. Its probably more like the dozenth time, in the last year and a half. What is going on? I don't know what's worse though. This, or the preacher that came in last week to trade his 2010 $60k Mercedes that was purchased for him in February for a 2009 higher class $80k Mercedes because he thought he needed something "more prestigious" quote unquote and quote again.

So now friends and family, if we have talked on the phone while I'm getting off of work and I have ever sounded a little annoyed or frustrated or stressed but don't want to talk about it- that might just be why. My bull**** tolerance levels had been shot through the roof that day because I might have just dealt with some haughty pharisee like this and to keep my job I had to keep my mouth shut and smile!! Again, not my thing! Ok, my rant is over. Does anybody else feel the same way or am I just off my pregnant rocker?! My attempt to not judge people totally abandoned me here. Sorry for the downer of a post this time.

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievable! I am in total agreement with you on this. So many amazing things could be done with that money for people in need. I thought that was part of the purpose of the church! Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear, I understand your frustration completely. Can you imagine how God feels? People going around saying things like that?! Don't use those types of people to knock down your faith. They aren't a part of what you are. I can't believe that they TRULY believe things they say. They KNOW God didn't tell them to drive certain cars or buy certain things, because to put those things as such priority in their lives would be going against the character of God. Not that having those things is wrong... For heavens sakes, I like nice things too!, but Christians don't make it their 's life's priority. That's not what's really important here on earth.
    Yes, I strongly believe in the institute of religion- it's how I structure my life. It is a way to outwardly show what I inwardly believe. But more importantly, I have a personal relationship with God and His son Jesus. Religion is just part of the way I celebrate that relationship.

    ReplyDelete