Friday, March 25, 2011

Num Num food

The solids have begun! Cheyanne was so ready for them too. I am so proud of myself however that I made it all the way to 6 months solely breastfeeding her. ::Pat on my back::

We started with homemade (brown) rice cereal. It was a hit the first day, then it quickly went down hill. I don't know if it was just because it was a new taste that made her like it, or it was the excitement of trying something new that got it down, but something changed after that first tasting. Starting night number two, in went the food and quickly back out it came. After about 5 days of trying different ways of feeding it to her, I gave up.

Yeah...that's food coming back out

I started redoing some research and found that oatmeal is also a good food to start with, so I immediately went out shopping for a new menu. We switched to oatmeal and there was no looking back. She LOVED it.

Even though half of it ended up on her face and hands, the part that made it through was a hit. Yeah, she's a messy little one.



Last night she had her first vegetable and wanted more.  I introduced acorn squash first. I love making her food myself because it makes me feel good knowing exactly what is going in. Plus, as weird as it sounds, it still makes me feel connected to her while she eats, call it breastfeeding syndrome.


 I am using this website called Wholesome Baby Food that is helpful with homemade menu ideas and how-tos. Up next, maybe butternut squash or avocados? Its so fun planning num num foods.

4 comments:

  1. YAY for solids!! SUCH adorable pictures & good for you for exclusively BFing for 6 months!

    Claire doesn't like rice cereal either, so i may have to try the oatmeal thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome Molly! I wish I had enough time to make my own baby food for Max that would be really special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Mrs. D- definitely try oatmeal. Could be a charm for little Claire. :) and Christi- I can't wait for yall to get here fyi. Is it April yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a big girl. :) We loved that website too. Haley liked avocados, but she also really liked it when I mixed bananas with avocados. And I have to admit, it wasn't that bad! On a side note, will you still be in Roanoke next month? We will be moving there for a few months. I'd love to see you for some playdates!

    ReplyDelete