Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dirty girl with a green thumb

Cheyanne might already be taking after me and the family green thumb. No, she hasn't gone and planted any trees yet, but I have high hopes for her. Every green thumb has to start somewhere right?

It is a running joke in my family that my father can't go outside without picking weeds. No matter even if he is dressed in his suit on his way to work on a rainy day. The man will mow in his Sunday best if he's gets the inkling that the yard has overgrown. I realized today that it seems I might have inherited that trait as I stood in our front flower bed in heels picking weeds while the wind blew. And now, it seems Chey too loves to pick whatever is around. Maybe she has seen me do it one too many times.

She's pretty cute when she's hunched over with me "pulling" weeds (or picking up the weeds from the pile that I just pulled out and spreading them around the yard). For a girl that can't stand having messy food hands, she sure doesn't mind getting her hands dirty in the yard right along with me. When I start digging, so does she. During our 17 month photo shoot the other day, she got distracted and found MomMom's pot of dirt left over from a dead palm. She decided it should probably be emptied. Thanks Chey. At least this time she didn't try to taste the dirt (again).

At first I protested, but then when I realized how fascinated she actually was with it, we made it a learning game. We learned that when you pick up clumps of dirt and dump it in your lap, your pretty white tights and dress lap by the way, MomMom tries not to laugh while still attempting to instruct you to put it back. Fun game. Then we learned MomMom would eventually give up and just take pictures of Her Cuteness instead.

The beginning.

Led to this. The smearing.

And so the pile grew.

And grew.

 And grew. Until a plant became more interesting and it was time to call it a day on the digging.


A little dirt and weeding can make little girls with green thumbs very happy. And bath time can make a MomMom happy too.

1 comment:

  1. Love all these photos of Miss Cheyanne, but the second to last pic is my hands-down favorite! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete