It is an on-running joke with my husband that I truly am the worst gift giver. I'd say I cinched that award the year that I gave him "homemade coupons" for Valentine's day... and never really let him use them. A free hug. Movie night of your choice. One lazy day of your choice to do nothing (yeah, that would be the one that I never completely approved of. In my defense, he really shouldn't have tried to use that coupon on days he knew I needed him to do something...). There was, of course, my ultimate fail gift. The one year anniversary that he didn't even want. Double sigh. I thought he'd love to go to a NFL game seeing as he was an NFL player back in the glory days, so my present was the promise to buy two tickets for us to attend a Redskins game of his choice. Redskins because they were the closest NFL team to us at the time despite the fact that they
It has gotten to the point now where I absolutely dread the idea of planning for gifts. For him at least. Its not that he is ungrateful, its that I feel horrible no matter what it is I give him. He is the BEST at gifts. He just always seems to know what to get or do for me, without even asking. Not me. Just one more reason why he is the better spouse.
My point here? His 26th birthday is on Sunday and I still haven't figured out what to do. Granted, he is not home and still has no mailing address which leaves me with little options at the moment. I have been thinking for a month now on what to do for him. Its a little difficult when there is no where to send a gift, no place to store a gift when it arrives, no ability to deliver the gift in person, no time to use a gift once there. I'm at a loss. What do you buy the man that needs nothing, has no where for it, and has no time to think about it? My head is already about to explode with frustration. I wish I was more creative in this department.
Its not that I don't care. Its the complete opposite actually. I care so much that I can't ever commit to one direction. I think so much that I end up giving up before I can follow through. My husband deserves all things that would bring him happiness. This year is especially challenging because it is the first year we are a one-income-combined-bank-account household. Since we made this move, I have felt the constant guilt that I am not contributing. I have never not contributed to our household. I have always brought my share to the mix, so whatever I spent was mine. Now, I feel completely guilty like I am spending his money on him. Does that make sense? I know it is "ours" and he would always want me to think of it like that, but I don't know how.
Do any of you out there have this issue? Any suggestions? I'm desperate here.
Sincerely, the Worst Gift Giver Ever

there is no need to feel guilt that you aren't contributing financially. your gift is contributing to raising your baby girl, and by nursing and fulltime care, you are supplying a lot and saving a lot of money! you guys are a team, and it is both of your money. as for gifts, rich and i don't exchange gifts anymore. it isn't that i don't want to give him anything, but there is no need to feel like we have to exchange stuff anymore because we discuss our purchases, and we can buy whatever we want typically.
ReplyDelete